Expand Your Practice…Enhance Your Career…Fill the Need
This course is designed to prepare you to effectively provide telemental health services.
It covers all of the essential competencies of using technology in practice and of providing services from a distance.
There are eight topics in this course:
- Introduction to TeleMental Health
- Legal Aspects of TeleMental Health
- Ethics of Using Technology in Behavioral Health
- HIPAA Compliance for Mental Health Professionals
- Ethical, Legal, and Clinical Aspects of Selecting Technology
- Emergency Management Planning for TeleMental Health
- Screening for Fit for TeleMental Health Services
- Ethical and Clinical Skills of Video and Phone Sessions
- Offer your clients more ways to have sessions with you.
- Meet the demand for online counseling.
- Reduce risk for your client, your license, and your practice.
- Adhere to your code of ethics and practice within your boundaries of competence.
- Become a preferred provider for insurance companies, EAPs, and organizations who are seeking telemental health providers.
- Describe the history, research and settings of telemental health.
- Explain how to determine if or when you can legally practice telemental health by reviewing and discussing state licencing laws and federal regulations.
- Explain how to ensure you practice within your boundaries of competence when using digital or communication technology in your practice, by holding telemental health services to the same standard of care expected for same-location/ face-to-face services.
- Describe the clinical, legal and ethical considerations when selecting technology, including HIPAA considerations, so you can apply these considerations to technology decisions you employ in your practice.
- List and explain the possible benefits, drawbacks and risks of telemental health.
- Demonstrate how to establish with the client an emergency management plan for each session in both a supervised and unsupervised environment and the process of responding to an emergency during a telemental health session.
- Use three criteria to assess if a prospective and/or current client is a fit for telemental health services.
- Demonstrate how to provide an effective video or phone session from start to finish.
- Demonstrate how to prepare the client for a video or phone session and to address technological challenges.
Raymond Barrett, CEO, LMHC, LPC, is a licensed professional counselor and an expert telemental health consultant/founder of the Telehealth Certification Institute (TCI). A master trainer, Ray has released over 50 high-quality courses for thousands of clinicians and healthcare providers and trained 1,919+ organizations in telehealth.
When Ray’s first clients began asking for sessions over the phone, Ray quickly discovered a knowledge gap in telehealth training. Ray’s inspiration for TCI came from his desire for comprehensive and practical training in telemental health for both himself and fellow clinicians. Ray’s extensive review of telehealth research and literature, along with his virtual counseling, executive coaching, psychiatric assessment, and employee assistance program experience, contributed to his course design.
In a profession known for regulatory pressures, Ray emphasizes ethical telehealth delivery across the board. He continues to see a limited number of private practice clients and rigorously reviews telehealth developments to ensure his courses are up to date and meet industry-best standards.
Ray is committed to cultivating a compassionate, person-centered organization that supports clinicians, patients, and the greater healthcare community.
This course provides 10.5 credit hours (6 of which are ethics)
Counselors: Telehealth Certification Institute, LLC has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No, 6693. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Telehealth Certification Institute, LLC is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
Telehealth Certification Institute, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed mental health counselors. #MHC-0048. Approval renewal date: 1/31/2023
Marriage and Family Therapists: Many MFT licensing boards accept our courses or one of the approvals which we have from professional associations. You can check with your board to determine if this course would be accepted by your licensing board.
Social Workers: Telehealth Certification Institute LLC, #1609, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Telehealth Certification Institute LLC maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 05/02/2021 – 05/02/2024. Social workers completing this course receive 6 ethics continuing education credits and 4.5 clinical continuing education credits.
TeleMental Health Training Program, Online Self-Study, Course #3252, is approved by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program to be offered by Telehealth Certification Institute LLC. as an individual course. Individual courses, not providers, are approved at the course level. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. ACE course approval period: 02/03/2021 - 02/02/2023. Social workers completing this course receive 6 Ethics & 4.5 Clinical continuing education credits.
Telehealth Certification Institute, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0435. Approval renewal date: 2/28/2023
Addiction Professionals: Telehealth Certification Institute is an approved provider of continuing education by NAADAC, the Association for Addiction Professionals, provider #193104. Full attendance is required; no partial credit will be awarded for partial attendance.
Psychologists: Telehealth Certification Institute LLC is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Telehealth Certification Institute LLC maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Other Professionals: This course qualifies for 630 minutes of instructional content as required by many national, state and local licensing boards and professional organizations. Retain your certificate of completion and contact your board or organization for specific filing requirements.
This is a non-interactive, self-study course.
To receive your certificate of completion you must complete the course in its entirety.
Online courses are completed by registering, logging in, navigating to your course using the blue navigation bar (My Courses – the Course Title), completing all of the modules, completing and passing the post-test, and completing the course evaluation.
Live Webinar courses are completed by registering, logging in to this website, navigating to your course using the blue navigation bar (My Courses – the Course Title), attending the full course via webinar, submitting your attendance, and completing the course evaluation online.
Psychologists and other professionals seeking CE credit through our approval with the American Psychological Association are asked but not required to complete the course evaluation before obtaining their certificate of completion, however passing a post-test for online self-study courses, and submitting one's attendance for live on-site and live webinars is required.
You can receive your certificate of completion by logging onto this website, navigating to the course using the blue navigation bar (My Courses – the Course Title), scroll to the bottom of your course, and click on your certificate to either download it or print it.
Directions for completing a course can be found by clicking here.
Your Telemental Health Training Certificate (THTC) is included with this training program. You can obtain your THTC certificate after attesting to completing the entire THTC program.
This course is intended for clinicians who provide behavioral health services.
Teaching methods for this course include recorded lectures, videos, a post-test, and a course evaluation. The courses may include required reading.
You have six months to access online courses from the time of purchase.