In this course, you will learn how to select the best breed/animal suited for therapy work with you as a licensed professional. You will observe animal training and identify positive training methods. You will understand the topic of Zoonosis and its importance to ensure client safety and minimize or eliminate potential risks. You will learn the common stress signals of dogs.
This is a non-interactive, self-study course.
1. Forum Posts: You will be required to make some forum posts for the course.
2. You will be required to complete writing assignments with the required reading in order to demonstrate understanding of the material.
3. The following required reading material is not provided to you with the purchase of the course.
- Fine, A.H. (2010). Animal Assisted Therapy: Theoretical Foundations and Guidelines for Practice-Fourth Edition. London, UK.
- Burch, M.R. and Bailey, J.S. ( 1999). How Dogs Learn. Wiley Publishing Inc., New York, NY.
This reading material can be purchased on www.amazon.com (Just type in title and/or author of the book)
- Explain how to understand and know an animal’s temperament
- Describe the needs/stress signals of different animals
- Identify how to select the appropriate training for you and your animal for the therapy setting
- Report how to objectively assess an animals’ suitability, strengths and limitations
- Identify key elements of animal care and advocacy
- Explain the ability to detect and as necessary arrange to facilitate the animal’s socialization, desensitization, and comfort to prepare them for work in ATT
- Explain the topic of Zoonosis and its implication in AAT
This course is Course 3 of the AAT-I Program.
From the time of registration, you have six months to access the coursework.
Credit Hours: This course offers 2 credit hours
Counselors: Telehealth Certification Institute, LLC has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No, 6693. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Telehealth Certification Institute, LLC is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
Telehealth Certification Institute, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed mental health counselors. #MHC-0048. Approval renewal date: 1/31/2023
Marriage and Family Therapists: Many MFT licensing boards accept our courses or one of the approvals which we have from professional associations. You can check with your board to determine if this course would be accepted by your licensing board.
Social Workers: Telehealth Certification Institute LLC, #1609, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Telehealth Certification Institute LLC maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 05/02/2021 – 05/02/2024. Social workers completing this course receive 2 clinical continuing education credits.
Telehealth Certification Institute, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0435. Approval renewal date: 2/28/2023
Addiction Professionals: Telehealth Certification Institute is an approved provider of continuing education by NAADAC, the Association for Addiction Professionals, provider #193104. Full attendance is required; no partial credit will be awarded for partial attendance.
Psychologists: Telehealth Certification Institute LLC is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Telehealth Certification Institute LLC maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Telehealth Certification Institute, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Psychology as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed psychologists #PSY-0128. Effective 8/31/2021 – 8/31/2024
Art Therapists: Telehealth Certification Institute, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed creative arts therapists #CAT-0093. 7/21/2021 – 7/31/2024
Other Professionals: This course qualifies for 120 minutes of instructional content as required by many national, state and local licensing boards and professional organizations. Retain your certificate of completion and contact your board or organization for specific filing requirements
This is a non-interactive, self-study course.
To receive your certificate of completion you must complete the course in its entirety.
To complete an Online Self Study Course, one must register, log in, select the My Courses option from the menu items, click the Course Title, complete all of the requirements, complete and pass the post-test(s), and complete the course evaluation.
Psychologists and other professionals seeking CE credit through our approval with the American Psychological Association are asked, but not required, to complete the course evaluation before obtaining their certificate of completion, however passing a post-test for online self-study courses, and submitting one's attendance for live on-site and live webinars is required.
You can download or print your certificate of completion by logging into your account, navigating to the course by selecting the My Courses option from the menu items, clicking the Course Title, scrolling to the Certificate of Completion section, and clicking on the Certificate of Completion link to either download it or print it.
Directions for completing a course can be found by clicking here.
Hold an approved license or certification. Click here to view the full list of approved clinician types.
Complete the entire AAT-I program, which includes the following 8 courses:
- The History of ATT and ATT Principles, 4 CE hours
- AAT Competencies and Multicultural Considerations, 7 CE hours
- Animals as Co-Therapists: Selection, Behavioral, and Training Considerations, 2 CE hours
- Introduction to Equine Facilitated Psychotherapy, 13 CE hours
- Animals as Co-Therapists: Blending Animal Interventions with a Range of Professional Theoretical Orientations, 11 CE hours
- Animals as Co-Therapists: Exploring Animal Assisted Interventions Across Professions, Settings, and Populations, 17 CE hours
- Developing Treatment Plans and Tracking Outcomes, 10 CE hours
- Weekend Intensive (Onsite in NC), 21 CE Hours
Teaching methods for the course include recorded lectures, videos, text readings, assignments, and online discussion.