The TeleMental Health Training Certificate Program
TeleMental Health Training Certificate Program Details
- The THTC Program
- Learning Objectives
- CE Hours
- How to Complete the Course and Earn the Certificate
- How to Obtain the THTC Certificate
- How to access the THTC Review and Study Guide
- Course Policies
- Who Should Attend
- Teaching Methods
- Course Availability
Select each tab above to view specific details of the TeleMental Health Training (THTC Certificate) program
Expand Your Practice…Enhance Your Career…Fill the Need
This program is designed to prepare you to effectively provide telemental health services.
It covers all of the essential competencies of using technology in practice and of providing services from a distance.
There are ten topics in this course:
- Introduction to TeleMental Health
- Legal Aspects of TeleMental Health
- Ethics of Using Technology in Behavioral Health
- Privacy law for TeleMental Health
- Ethical, Legal, and Clinical Aspects of Selecting Technology
- Emergency Management Planning for TeleMental Health
- Screening for Fit for TeleMental Health Services
- Clinical Skills of Video Sessions
- Clinical Skills of Phone Therapy
- Cultural Competence and Telehealth
The THTC Review and Study Guide is a comprehensive 16 chapter/200 page e-book that covers all aspects of the program and is an thorough review of the program and study guide for the Telemental Health Exam required for those applying for the BC-TMH credential.
- Offer your clients more ways to have sessions with you.
- Meet the demand for online counseling.
- Reduce risk for your client, your license, and your practice.
- Adhere to your code of ethics and practice within your boundaries of competence.
- Become a preferred provider for insurance companies, EAPs, and organizations who are seeking telemental health providers.
- Describe the history, research and settings of telemental health.
- Explain how to determine if or when you can legally practice telemental health by reviewing and discussing state licencing laws and federal regulations.
- Explain how to ensure you practice within your boundaries of competence when using digital or communication technology in your practice, by holding telemental health services to the same standard of care expected for same-location/ face-to-face services.
- Describe the clinical, legal and ethical considerations when selecting technology, including HIPAA considerations, so you can apply these considerations to technology decisions you employ in your practice.
- List and explain the possible benefits, drawbacks and risks of telemental health.
- Demonstrate how to establish with the client an emergency management plan for each session in both a supervised and unsupervised environment and the process of responding to an emergency during a telemental health session.
- Use three criteria to assess if a prospective and/or current client is a fit for telemental health services.
- Demonstrate how to provide an effective video or phone session from start to finish.
- Demonstrate how to prepare the client for a video or phone session and to address technological challenges.
- Define cultural competence and cultural humility as it relates to ethical professional practice.
- Adapt technology, assessment, and treatment services to fit specific cultural needs.
Raymond Barrett, CEO, LMHC, LPC, is a licensed professional counselor and an expert telemental health consultant/founder of the Telehealth Certification Institute (TCI). A master trainer, Ray has released over 50 high-quality courses for thousands of clinicians and healthcare providers and trained 1,919+ organizations in telehealth.
When Ray’s first clients began asking for sessions over the phone, Ray quickly discovered a knowledge gap in telehealth training. Ray’s inspiration for TCI came from his desire for comprehensive and practical training in telemental health for both himself and fellow clinicians. Ray’s extensive review of telehealth research and literature, along with his virtual counseling, executive coaching, psychiatric assessment, and employee assistance program experience, contributed to his course design.
In a profession known for regulatory pressures, Ray emphasizes ethical telehealth delivery across the board. He continues to see a limited number of private practice clients and rigorously reviews telehealth developments to ensure his courses are up to date and meet industry-best standards.
Ray is committed to cultivating a compassionate, person-centered organization that supports clinicians, patients, and the greater healthcare community.
This course provides 15.5 credit hours (7.5 of which are ethics)
Counselors: Telehealth Certification Institute, LLC has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No, 6693. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Telehealth Certification Institute, LLC is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
Telehealth Certification Institute, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed mental health counselors. #MHC-0048. Approval renewal date: 1/31/2023
Marriage and Family Therapists: Many MFT licensing boards accept our courses or one of the approvals which we have from professional associations. You can check with your board to determine if this course would be accepted by your licensing board.
Social Workers: Telehealth Certification Institute LLC, #1609, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Telehealth Certification Institute LLC maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 05/02/2021 – 05/02/2024. Social workers completing this course receive 7.5 ethics continuing education credits and 8 clinical continuing education credits.
TeleMental Health Training Program, Online Self Study, Course #4005, is approved by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program to be offered by Telehealth Certification Institute LLC. as an individual course. Individual courses, not providers, are approved at the course level. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. ACE course approval period: 04/07/2022 - 04/07/2024. Social workers completing this course receive 8 Clinical & 7.5 Ethics continuing education credits.
Telehealth Certification Institute, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0435. Approval renewal date: 2/28/2023
Addiction Professionals: Telehealth Certification Institute is an approved provider of continuing education by NAADAC, the Association for Addiction Professionals, provider #193104. Full attendance is required; no partial credit will be awarded for partial attendance.
Psychologists: Telehealth Certification Institute LLC is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Telehealth Certification Institute LLC maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Telehealth Certification Institute, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Psychology as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed psychologists #PSY-0128. Effective 8/31/2021 – 8/31/2024
Art Therapists: Telehealth Certification Institute, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed creative arts therapists #CAT-0093. 7/21/2021 – 7/31/2024
Other Professionals: This course qualifies for 930 minutes of instructional content as required by many national, state and local licensing boards and professional organizations. Retain your certificate of completion and contact your board or organization for specific filing requirements.
This is a non-interactive, self-study course.
To receive your certificate of completion you must complete the course in its entirety.
Online courses are completed by registering, logging in, navigating to your course using the menu (My Courses – the Course Title), completing all of the modules, completing and passing the post-test, and completing the course evaluation.
Live Webinar courses are completed by registering, logging in to this website, navigating to your course using the menu (My Courses – the Course Title), attending the full course via webinar, submitting your attendance, and completing the course evaluation online.
Psychologists and other professionals seeking CE credit through our approval with the American Psychological Association are asked, but not required, to complete the course evaluation before obtaining their certificate of completion, however passing a post-test for online self-study courses, and submitting one's attendance for live on-site and live webinars is required.
You can receive your certificate of completion by logging onto this website, navigating to the course using the menu (My Courses – the Course Title), scroll to the bottom of your course, and click on your certificate to either download it or print it.
Directions for completing a course can be found by clicking here.
The Telemental Health Training Certificate (THTC) is included with this training program. You can obtain your THTC certificate after attesting to completing the entire THTC program. The THTC Certificate is listed as an item under “My Courses”.
Accommodations for Individuals with Disabilities
This course includes closed captioning.
Online self-study: Refunds are offered within the first 30 days for courses that have not been completed. There is a 10% service fee for refunds.
Live webinars and live onsite courses: Refunds are only allowed prior to the date of the live event/course. There is a 10% service fee for refunds.
This course is intended for clinicians who provide behavioral health services.
Teaching methods for this course include recorded lectures, videos, a post-test, and a course evaluation. The courses may include required reading.
This program was updated June 11, 2021
You have six months to access online courses from the time of purchase.
You have one year to access the THTC Review and Study Guide from time of purchase.
What is the THTC Program?
Get comprehensive training in TeleMental Health and earn your certificate for The TeleMental Health Training Program (THTC).
Our THTC program provides evidence-based, advanced, and comprehensive training that prepares clinicians to offer behavioral health services in a different location than the client through technology. Several other terms are used for TeleMental Health, such as E-Psychology, Technology-Assisted Social Work, Web-Based, Virtual, Distance Counseling, Telebehavioral Health, Telehealth, TeleMedicine, Online Counseling, Skype Counseling, and Tele-Therapy. Earn your certificate in TeleMental Health Training to demonstrate your knowledge and dedication to the expanding field of TeleMental Health. Upon completing the program, you'll receive your TeleMental Health Training Certificate (THTC) to add to your existing credentials.
This course covers ten specific topics and includes a comprehensive study guide. This course provides 15.5 credit hours (7.5 of which are ethics).
Who is it for?
The THTC program is for any behavioral health professional, including counselors, social workers, marriage and family therapists, psychologists, physicians, nurses, and chaplains. Clinicians who have earned the THTC are particularly mindful of their clients' privacy as it relates to the use of technology and the importance of remaining up-to-date on the best practices of providing services remotely.
The THTC Program can be completed as an online self-study, by live online webinars, or with a hybrid approach of part self-study and part live-webinar.
Non-intereactive self-study programs are completed by:
- Logging in to your account on the website
- Go to My Courses and select the course title
- Complete the required elements (watch the training videos, complete the post-test with a score of 80% or higher)
- Your certificate of completion unlocks when the previous steps have been completed. You receive your certificate by downloading or printing the certificate from the course page.
Live online webinars are completed by:
- Logging in to your account on the website
- Go to My Courses and select the course title
- Complete the required elements (attend the webinar and participate on camera in its entirety, complete the course evaluation)
- Your certificate(s) of completion unlock(s) when the previous steps have been completed. You receive your certificate by downloading or printing the certificate from the course page.
Ready to Begin Offering Telemental Services?
What's in the TeleMental Health Training Certificate Program?
Introduction to Telemental Health
Ethics of Using Technology Behavioral Health
Ethical, Legal, and Clinical Aspects of Selecting Technology
Screening for Fit for Telemental Health Services
Legal Aspects of Telemental Health
Privacy Law for Telemental Health
Emergency Management Planning for Telemental Health
Clinical Skills of Video Sessions
Cultural Competence and Telehealth
Clinical Skills of Phone Therapy
Validation of the THTC Program
The program has been thoroughly reviewed and rigorously assessed by an advisory committee made up of professionals who are considered to be experts in their field of practice with years of applicable experience embedded into the program. The committee is made of professionals in the area of clinical psychology, social work, clinical supervisors, and professional counselors so a diverse pool of knowledge is in place to present a training program that is truly comprehensive in these content areas. The advisory committee strives to remain abreast of the latest developments and updates in the world of telemental health services and incorporates these ever-growing changes into the training to maintain the timeliness and relevancy of the program. There was an exhaustive review of the codes of ethics from a large number of behavioral health professional associations and licensing boards, the professional literature, and in-depth research to finally construct the certificate training program.
Earning a certification, credential, or certificate in a specialty validates your knowledge and expertise and demonstrates your commitment to providing high-quality, evidence-based treatment. Upon completing the program, you'll receive your TeleMental Health Training Certificate (THTC) to be added to your existing credentials.